Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Tomato soup

Maybe it was growing up slurping up copious amounts of Campbells Cream of Tomato soup or it might be my hankering after a taste of summer, but as soon as the thermometer dips, I crave a cup of tomato soup. It has to be served in a mug- not a bowl. Fortunately I've grown out of the tinned variety, especially when it isn't tough to make some yourself. This is my most recent incarnation of cream of tomato soup which I made on a recent chilly spring day. Put on your jimjams, pour a mug of soup, curl up on the couch and watch some dreadful made for tv movie for the night- pure lazy bliss!

Xochitl's Cream of Tomato Soup
Makes a potful- the number of servings depends on if you want to share

1 onion, diced
1 kilo ripe tomatoes, quartered
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
1/2 tbsp. olive oil
knob of butter
500 ml stock (vegetable or chicken)
100 ml double cream

Heat the olive oil and the butter in a stock pot over medium heat until the butter foams. Turn the heat down, add the onions and cook until translucent and tender (which will be about 10 minutes or so).

Add the tomatoes, paprika and stock. Bring it to be boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes (the tomatoes should be soft).

Using a hand blender, puree the soup. Stir in the cream and serve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I LOVE tomato soup... even better when they're roasted beforehand to bring out the flavour even more!
johanna (the passionate cook)

Xochitl said...

Yum I love roast tomatoes. That will be my next incarnation of tomato soup. Thanks!