Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Chorizo and Kale Saute

I really love Spanish chorizo, the dry salami looking version, not the Mexican uncooked sausage meat kind (that makes a mean scramble). In a salad, with eggs or on its own, it is very, very moreish. To feel like I'm eating it with something nutritious, I cooked it up with some greens. It's quick, easy and there really are no measurements. You can adjust it to serve more or less, as a main or as a tapa. Just looking at the photo is making me crave chorizo all over again...

Chorizo and Kale Saute

My measurements are approximate- use what you have available in the quantity you have to hand.

100 g Spanish chorizo, sliced and halved (it can be hot or mild although I prefer it with a kick)
1/2 onion, diced
10 cherry tomatoes, halved (or 1 tomato diced)
3 handfuls of chopped kale (or other dark, leafy green)
1 handful of sliced mushrooms

Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the chorizo and cook a few minutes until the chorizo is browned and has release oil.

Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the chorizo and put to one side. Leave the oil in the pan to cook the remaining ingredients (it there is an excessive amount, drain some of it).

Add the onion to the pan and cook until translucent.

Add the kale and cook for a few minutes or until the kale begins to wilt.

Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and cook until softened.

Serve up with pieces of baguette or other crusty bread.







1 comment:

Freya said...

Yum! I have cooked something similar but I also throw in some cannelini beans. I love the combination of kale and chorizo - so good!