Monday, May 01, 2006

On your marks, get set, BBQ!

Ah yes, it's a Bank Holiday weekend. The weather forecast is predictably crap. It must be time for a barbecue. The Boy's childhood pal Jason was throwing a House De-warming party. He figured he better make the most of having a garden and a large barbecue before he was relegated to apartment living like the majority of Londoners. He first mentioned the idea of a Sunday bbq to The Boy a few weeks ago when they went out for a curry. My darling spouse volunteered me to do some salads- mind you that wasn't a problem because I like Jason and would give him a hand anytime- it's just that The Boy only remembered to tell me on Wednesday.

In the end, I settled on three salads. A couscous salad with pomegranate, a Moroccan chickpea salad and Potato Salad. It was a barbecue- there has to be potato salad! I will admit that I am not a fan of potato salad and all the gloopy, mayonnaise-y taste. However, a couple of bottles of Rose later and I can't help sneaking a spoonful to make sure that it is as gross as the last time I sneaking a spoonful. Most people I find don't have the same dislike so I made a potato salad that I could actually eat. I also found a use for the green tops from a bunch of salad onions; however, you could use the whole thing if available.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

My Potato Salad
Serves 4-6
Ingredients:

1 kg Baby New Potatoes (or any waxy potato)
1 bunch of green onion, thinly sliced
for the dressing:
1 1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tbsp dried tarragon
2 tbsp. plain yogurt
4 tbsp. mayonnaise

Boil the potatoes in a stockpot until cooked through. Once cooked, drain and rinse in cold water until the potatoes are cool.

While the potatoes cool, mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar or small bowl. Place to one side.

Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters depending on their size.

Put the potatoes and green onions into a large bowl. Pour half the dressing over, stirring to mix and adding more dressing if needed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I copied the recipe, will get back to you and let you know how it was!!!!

Anonymous said...

Can you not use Jersey potatoes for this salad? I think that you are on a potato kick. Let's have some more potato recipes...perhaps, scalloped, oven fried, potato pancakes, potato dumplings. I am willing to share if you are.

Xochitl said...

Hi Barb,

I am on a bit of a tater kick at the moment since Jersey Royals are available. If you are able to get them in the US it is worth spending a little bit more just to have a taste of them.

As for this salad, you can use any potato that is waxy (they tend to have a light yellow tint to the flesh). Waxy potatoes don't go to mush when you cook and cut them for a salad. I can't remember what Jerseys are like, but if they are waxy, throw them in.

Xoch