Thursday, August 03, 2006

Spice Rub Grilled Chicken

It never occurred to me how obsessed I am with grilling things until I started this blog. I love outdoor barbecues, I love indoor grill pans, I love summer barbecues, I love winter barbecues, it doesn't matter if it's chicken, beef or veg, there is something very relaxing about eating grilled food. On this occasion it was about using up some chicken thighs in the fridge. I raided the spice shelf and made up this rub that has a gentle kick and a tasty saltiness about it. It was good right away with a salad (I ate it with my remoulade) but it was great the next day chopped into a green salad.

Spice Rub Chicken

Serves 4-6
Ingredients:

1 tsp of each of the following:

whole cumin seed
ground ginger
ground coriander
crushed chilli flakes
yellow mustard seed

2 tsp sea salt
3 tbsp olive oil

400-500g of chicken (it can be anything- I used chicken thighs)

Grind the cumin seed, chilli flakes and mustard seed in a mortar and pestle so that the spices are lightly crushed. Mix in the remaining spices and the salt and lightly crush some of the sea salt.

Rub the spice mixture on the chicken. Add the olive oil and rub into the spice coating chicken.

Marinate for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.

The chicken can be grilled, roasted or pan fried; cooking times will vary depending on method and chicken cut used.

1 comment:

Xochitl said...

Hi Pam-

Let me know if you try it!

Xoch