Monday, April 03, 2006

Veg Fest

After an absolutely hectic week which saw me help cater a party, teach a couple of cookery classes and find a job, and which was preceded by a few weeks of partying, I needed a detox. Even The Boy was requesting a meal with vegetables! I was in the mood for something with a twist but nothing that would overtake the pureness of the vegetables. I went back and tweaked a recipe for grilled vegetables I devised for a BBQ a few weeks ago (a BBQ in February? It's a great way to beat the winter blues.).

Marinated Grilled Vegetables


Serves 2-4
Ingredients:

1 tbsp. cumin seeds
1/4 tsp. crushed chili flakes
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
5 tbsp. olive oil
1 courgette, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
8-10 whole mushrooms
1 fennel bulb, sliced

Put the sliced vegetables in a medium size bowl.

Mix the spices and the olive oil; pour over the vegetables and toss to lightly coat all the veg. Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes.

Heat a grill pan over medium high heat and cook the vegetables to your liking. Personally I like my mushrooms and courgettes well grilled but prefer peppers and fennel with a bit of crunch.

Below is an extra recipe for a quick salad using the grilled fennel. It makes for a light, refreshing lunch and a nice change from a green salad.

Fennel and Orange Salad

Serves 1
Ingredients:

1 blood orange, peeled and sliced
1 fennel bulb, sliced and grilled
20g. feta cheese, crumbled

Layer the orange and fennel on a plate and sprinkle the feta on top.
Olive oil can be drizzled on top but I find the salad better without it.

No comments: