Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Beetroot Stacks

A recent heatwave in London has kept me out of the kitchen (unless it was for a cold beer or a salad for dinner) for the last few days. I had a craving for beetroot and since I couldn't find any fresh ones that I liked the looks of, I bought some prepared ones form M&S. They don't douse it in too much vinegar and alter it into some sort of purple pickle state. I dislike beetroot for years until I decided to roast a freshly picked one from a pick your own. Now I look forward to summer when I can get bunches of the stuff. Sadly it has a bad, undeserved reputation when you think about the vitamins it's packed with.

Quantities will vary depending on the size beets used but can be easily increased or decreased as needed.

Beetroot Stacks

Serves 2 - 4

Beetroot, 3 baby beets or 1 large one per person
Fresh chives, 1/2 bunch finely chopped
Ricotta, 1 tub (if available try Buffalo milk ricotta)
Sour Cream, 1 tbsp

Trim the bottom of the beets so they while stay upright. Slice the beetroot horizontally into three or four slices depending on size of the beetroot.

Mix the chives, ricotta and sour cream until combined.

Place the bottom slice of a beet on a plate and spread a small teaspoon of the ricotta mixture in the middle. Place another slice of beetroot on top and continue to layer until the beet has been put back together.

Serve with a handful of watercress or rocket and drizzle a little olive oil over the salad leaves.

No comments: